The 'District Industries Centre' (DICs) programme was started by the central government in 1978 with the objective of providing a focal point for promoting small, tiny, cottage and village industries and to make available to them all necessary services and facilities at one place.
To facilitate the process of small enterprise development, DICs have been entrusted with most of the administrative and financial powers under the 'Directorate of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises'. DIC is headed by a General Manager who is assisted by managers, Dy managers, IDOs and other officers & staffs. Block level assistances are provided through IDOs at the Blocks. Basically the District Industries Centre is a promotional agency and acts as facilitation centre.
The important objectives of DICs are as follow :
- Accelerate the overall efforts for industrialisation of the district.
- Rural industrialisation and development of rural industries and handicrafts.
- Attainment of economic equality in various regions of the district.
- Providing the benefit of the government schemes to the new entrepreneurs.
- Centralisation of procedures required to start a new industrial unit and minimisation- of the efforts and time required to obtain various permissions, licenses, registrations, subsidies etc.
- Implementation of various schemes and programmes for employment generation and extend welfare schemes.
- Co-ordination and liaison with various district bodies/ authorities.
- Assisting other Govt. departments with regard to industrial information/ surveys etc.
- Creation Project data banks
- Acts as the focal point of the industrialisation of the district through promotional programmes.
- Opportunity guidance to entrepreneurs.
- Compilation of information about local sources of raw materials and their availability.
- Manpower assessment with respect to skilled, semi-skilled workers.
- Assessment of availability of infrastructure facilities like quality testing, research and development, transport, prototype development, warehouse etc.
- Organises entrepreneurship development training programs.
- Provides information about various government schemes, subsidies, grants and assistance available from the other corporations set up for promotion of industries.
- Advices the entrepreneurs on investments.
- Acts as a link between the entrepreneurs and the lead bank of the district.
- Implements government sponsored schemes for educated unemployed people.
- Helps entrepreneurs in obtaining licenses from the Electricity Board, Water Supply Board, No Objection Certificates etc.
- Assist the entrepreneur to procure imported machinery and raw materials.
- Organises fairs, marketing outlets in liaison with other government agencies.